In June, 1950 Sacred Heart Church was elevated from mission status to that of a Parochial Church or Parish. Father Joseph Kinsella was appointed the first resident Pastor.
At this time, the Parish Community consisted of 80 families. Father Kinsella realized that the Parish should begin providing for expansion of the Parish Community. Between 1952 and 1954 several parcels of land adjacent to the Church were purchased with the aide of a $30,000 loan from the Archdiocese.
It became apparent that deterioration and aging conditions were developing in the "Little White Church". Father Kinsella applied to Archbishop Boland in Newark for approval to build a new church and auditorium.
In the fall of 1962 the plan was approved and a steering committee formed to raise funds. Parishioners pledged $166,000. The Rosary Altar Society and the Nocturnal Adoration Society also provided very generous contributions. A mortgage for $450,000 was obtained from Hackensack Trust Company.John Trich of Oradell was chosen as the architect. The construction contract was awarded to Sirubi and Sposa of Bergenfield.
The cornerstone of the new church was laid in 1963 and the formal dedication was held on February 2, 1964
Many parishioners along with Father Kinsella felt that the financial picture was favorable to build an eight room school at the same time as the church and auditorium. The school was completed first and opened in September of 1963.